1. PurposeThe aim of this dissertation is to develop a framework to assess and classify Business Model Transformation (BMT) of established firm.
A qualitative research method (exploratory and descriptive nature)- in depth case studies of Midsized HI-TECH firms in a growth setback stage transforming their BM.
? Incremental BMT only mitigates growth decline or plateau while semi radical or radical BMT is an enabler of renowned growth.
? Every semi radical/ radical BMT process involves managing a BM portfolio
? BMT process of B2B firms involve the acquisition of an initial Key customer (mainly on a project based engagement model) which serves as an enhancement mechanism for stakeholders trust in the new Business Model.
? Following the acquisition of a Key customer BMT process of B2B firms involves an exploration process of how to scale up the Business Model.
? BMT based on Threat shows a different pattern then BMT based on Opportunity4. Research limitations/implications
Present research is based on a limited number of companies, Integrating more companies will contribute for further research. Comparing small and large companies is also highly interesting because their resources and hence their method of working might vary.
5. Practical implications
A set of elements per each BM dimension, provides the following benefits :
1. A disciplined tool for analyzing expected risk /opportunities/BM evolution.
2. During strategic planning, by methodologically visiting each “dimension /base”, managers will be able to consider the uniqueness of their BMT against their own firm /competitors / industry.
3. Helpful in assessing a BMT project in midcourse, identifying possible gaps in a troubled transformation and selecting corrective actions .
4. Could provide a common language for discussions among executives, managers, teams and costumers during BMT planning and execution.
6. Social implications (if applicable)
What will be the impact on society of this research? How will it influence public attitudes, (corporate) social responsibility, environmental issues, public or industry policy? How might it affect quality of life? Not all Doctoral theses will have social implications.
Contribution toward a more unified study of business models-The proposed BMTF could contribute specifically in the context of an established firm reconfiguring its BM.
Business Models and Cognition - BM could be seen as cognitive instruments which links traditional elements in the firm and those outside. The BMTF visualizES a firm prevailing logic and opportunities outside this prevailing logic on risk/ complexity hierarchy.
A new BMT classification and definition -The granular analysis enables to categorize a given BMT as Radical vs. Semi Radical Vs Incremental the reference point is the firm given BM/dominant logic.
BMTF will allow to better examine the link between